Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Wedding is Being Taken Over by Dresses and Kilts



L and I have been engaged for just over a year now. The first 6 months were idealic. I confess that during this time I thought that planning the wedding would be no big deal. I thought that we'd throw a party in my mom's backyard, we'd deck the bridal party in some sort of color themed fancy wear and I'd wear a pretty dress. Piece of cake, right? Not so much.

The problem was the dress. I want the equivalent of a ball gown. I tried one on, and well, that was it. I'm not even talking about THE dress. Once I tried the first ballgown on, I couldn't stop trying them on. I tried them on during that entire first 6 months, and each time I had someone lace me into a fancy girly dress that back yard wedding became smaller and smaller in my mind's eye until it was gone entirely.

Okay. So no more backyard wedding. No problem. Did you know that 130 people is the most akward number of wedding guests? Most large places require 150-250 people to book a saturday night and most small places only seat 100. You'd think that there would be a happy medium, but no. Its either sitting on your table mates or listening to the crickets. This was the toughest things we've had to figure out for our wedding so far. It left the rest of the planning in a gridlock. But we came up with a solution: Sunday (of a long weekend) wedding! Feels like a saturday but costs us less! And in hind sight, my mom's backyard is big, but maybe not 130 people big.

Now most ladies that I know that have planned their wedding, did just that - planned it with little input from their future husband. It wasn't that the husbands didn't think that the wedding day wasn't important. They just didn't think that the decision between teal vests or aquamarine vests warranted hours of internet searches or discussion. I am lucky that my honey is interested in the mundane details of the wedding obsessed. Unfortunately, he is also interested in kilts. As in wearing a kilt for the wedding.

I've always maintained that the wedding is not just the bride's special day; its the groom's day too. This belief was difficult to maintain however, with visions of plaid dancing through my head. And my favorite colors are yellow and orange. (think less pale and more cautionary) Talk about fashion disaster.




I'm signing off to watch Mama Mia. Not because I love ABBA or musicals, but because my mom said that I should do my hair like the bride in the movie. This makes me truly wedding obsessed.

No comments: