Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Bane of my wedding existance

What aspect of wedding planning leaves me awake at night? Bridesmaid dresses. They are driving me freaking nuts. At this point I'm ready to throw my hands in the air and say 'I QUIT'. No more thinking about colors, and fabric, and length. I'm this close to saying suprise me. Pick whatever dress you want.


Let me tell you what the source of all of my wedding related problems (this makes me sound like I've got therapist related problems, but this is not the case). Let me rephrase. The source of my wedding angst is:
THE TARTAN.


I understand L's love of the tartan. While I do not own a kilt (and likely never will), I do have a family tartan and I think its quite nice. I know that my family crest reads 'with a strong hand' which makes us sound like we smack people around a lot, but I assure you, this is not the case.


That said, the tartan is the bane of my existance. Chosing a bridesmaid dress is difficult because there are many things to consider: color, length, fabric, style and bridesmaid general shape. The tartan complicates things even more.


Let me show you L's family tartan.



Now that's a lot of color. How am I supposed to match the bridesmaid dresses to that? And there is NO way that the ladies are wearing it. Do you hear me? NO WAY. After much discussion, we decided to further compromise. While I still didn't love the idea of L and his boys wearing kilts, I could accept it with more grace when I pictured them wearing a different tartan.

So we picked a more sedate brown/hunter green tartan. It will be easy to match. The obvious choice is brown. I have a hard time telling if colors go well together. I usually have to ask the retail people if skirt that i'm buying goes with the shirt. So trying to find a color to match the red to was kind of a nightmare. Brown is brown. It will go. But that leaves the wedding party kind of dreary. Brown. Green and brown. And our wedding is mid-may, so in not-so-sunny Manitoba there may not be many leaves on the trees. Which leaves us with what color? You guessed it. Brown.

Sigh. I love color. My closet is full of yellow and orange. Will the girls look good in brown? Yes. Will they match the tartan? With out a doubt. Am I excited about them? No.

No comments: